Karel Stoel brings us more treats with this amazingly obscure island plate from BIAK, a distant Dutch outpost in the South Pacific Sea, North of Papua-New Guinea island. Until lost from The Dutch Netherlands New Guinea territories in the early 1960s, code G was issued between 1950-59 and was the only NGN single-letter code. (Could there have been as many as 255 registered vehicles on that spot of remote land?)
This is the only picture known to exist of that G series, depicted on an Auto-Union-DKW 1000, an advanced German car of the period.
The more usual (??) issue of the 1950-59 Hollandia plates, used the NG prefix and leading zeroes, probably on the white/blue plates of mainland Holland. This Beetle NG-04 is certainly using the mainland dies AND as it carries the NGN international Identification oval, it would seem to have been photographed in Holland, having returned from service in the territory. Few people still living ever saw such a plate!
X- 451 (IN)
Further west, in Netherlands Indonesia, those who returned their cars to Europe at the end of their work tour. were given a temporary plate with an X prefix, for the first many years in white on black, and later in black on white/ They almost aways carried the regulation oval and it is thought many came back to Holland and tickled Stoel’s fancy.
Several pictures of the microcar Fiat 500 Topolino/Mouse exist showing us Indonesian plates. Wholly unsuitable for the rugged conditions, one would have thought – but probably very cheap indeed, so a few sales were guaranteed. X 554 is an example of the white version of the exit plate issued to vehicles leaving permanently from Dutch Indonesia.
There is confusion over the systems in use in NGN. The 1950-59 series above was issued concurrently, it seems with another, below, using a prefix letter for the year (M=1955, N=56, O-57, P-58, R=59, S-60, T-61 and U=62.) Then followed a suffix for the vehicle type – where A coded motorcycles, B coded cars, c, lorries, D, buses and F, moped-scooters. The serial number indicated the issuing office.
These are said to have been issued (but partly overlapping?) between 1953 & 63. Who knows anything which could clarify this anomaly?