Does anyone know where this plate comes from ? The car was photographed in Bochum (Germany).
Does anyone know where this plate comes from ? The car was photographed in Bochum (Germany).
(UAE-Dub) – TEST 109 — Thought to be the first series of Dealer plates in Dubai, starting 1964. Subaru 360 minicar. Taken c.1969 by our stringer Murray Bailey down by the old camel park, where the Hilton now is. (Brumby archive)
(NL) LZ 319 — Utrecht province is not listed as having issued its code L with a suffix, if and when it reached L-99999. So LZ-319 is a puzzle, shot in 1940s Holland, but could it possibly be an early number from such a continuation series which started and soon stopped, when the 1951 series LL-NN-NN took over? We know that North- and South- Holland provinces G & H used the continuation suffixes Z, and then X; so maybe Utrecht just squeezed in a run of LZ – Dutch boffins to the rescue, please!
Its an Austin K van often supplied as a very basic fire tender post-war.
During the mopping-up months after September 1944 as Holland returned to peace, the office of the Commander of the Netherlands Forces carried a second plate, usually painted or stencilled, with the code CNF.
Is this Jeep’s main military registration M 5845586 on the hood/bonnet from the US or GB issues? Both countries’ military systems used 6 and 7-numeral serials following M, whereas Holland used M and no more than five numerals.
(NL) CNF — No normal Dutch plate showing on the Prince’s CNF Mercedes coupé of unknown model. but a grand car probably kept somewhere safe during the ‘unpleasantness’ and then liberated. Or a gift from a departing German visitor……
(?) C – 2545 — No Idea. The only clue to this C-prefixed plate filed among the Dutch military is that C was used on some Australian army cars in the immediate post-war period. Who knows? Looks like an Austin Eight or Ten.
(GBG) — Z 3 — A little-photographed shot of Guernsey’s Dealer ‘Z’ series. A Standard 14?
(GBG) — G 2 G is not normally used in Guernsey. Special Issue. This van-conversion Standard 10 estate car was called a Companion.
(ROU 40s) – A + 4-03 — Perhaps a doctor in post-war Montevideo? An unlisted format, almost certainly light blue on white, as were many official Uruguayan plates. Is this a circa 1948 Ford? It’s a 1949 (US) Ford, David Wilson assures us!
(F) French Oceania — Never previously suspected, E 50 is evidence of 1950’s New Caledonia’s having a Dealer type, this one on a new Fiat Multipla, fresh from the hold of MV Polynesie.
E=Essai=Trial/Test – Demonstration. ?Perhaps this was for Dealer 5 and the zero is the first of a number of Trade Plates he was entitled to use? There could not have been 50 dealers, surely?
(F) 5805 WW D — A French new-vehicle ex-factory delivery plate with a difference. Instead of the usual numeric départment code following WW, the letter D tells that the vehicle is being delivered to a branch of government in any part of the country. Peugeot 203.
(F 32-53) – 32 TT 3 ZZ — (silver on red) Noted in Francoplaque’s most detailed website, but not illustrated, there, or anywhere else, we believe, is this 1934-? Transit Temporaire showing 3 to date its 1953 issue and ZZ (or Z) for French Algeria. RPWO gives it that serial numbers 1-3999 were allocated to Algiers, 4000-6999 to Oran and 7000-9999 to Constantine. If Algiers had reached only 32 between 1934 and 1953, we may assume that those big allocations were optimistic!
Concerning the car, an Austin A40 Somerset or Devon (or Dorset), it was always extremely odd to see a British marque circulating in a French territory. Perhaps this was a UK citizen in Algeria on a special mission. Maybe James Bond on his first assignment, even.
(CS) — P-1323 is a strangely low number for a c.1945-6 Prague registration, painted on to an imported US Jeep by the UNRRA sic
which operated from 1945-47, thus helping to date this photo. The additional plate AA 161 is not understood and theories are requested.
(R) 24 — Before the revolution, Russia had no national registration system, and each area/town licenced the very few local vehicles in varying ways. Member Rein Veldi advises us that this Benz is actually carrying a plate issued in Chisinau, Moldova (then Bessarabia), which the car used to complete an overland expedition to Moscow – a heroic feat in times without roads between towns.
The few extant pictures of pre-1917-and-later Russian vehicles are all-numeric and often black on white, like Lenin (the worker’s hero) carried on his proletarian Rolls-Royce 236 below.
(Tonga) G 271 — Your forthcoming visit to any jungly garden in Nuku’alofa on Tongatapu should throw up an old agricultural tractor, awaiting spares or the enthusiasm to get it working again. The G-prefix was used for agric. vehicles from the 1960s until the 1980s, but is no longer. Another item for the history books.
(MT) T-4145 — Tangiers was an international Zone in Morocco between 1924-1956 and issued its own plates, mostly manufactured in the British style and size. Only the private T-series was officially known, such as carried on this British Standard 14 below.
Here, the car has been brought back to Britain and been given QC temporary-import plates at the port of entry, as Tangiers probably wasn’t a member of the Go-Anywhere Club. The QC code was issued by the Royal Automobile Association from 1931 to 1949 and 8825 is probably from 1948.
T.W.1 — Mr. Stoel, however, has passed us an image of a Morris Minor Tourer at Christmas 1952, driving by a crowd of schoolchildren in the city. Amazingly (to the writer, anyway) it bears a French-influenced Dealer plate, in which one W letter-code is supplemented by a T, giving us T-angers/W-dealer/1 and the 1952 year of validity.
Tangiers Dealer – who ever thought they’d see one of those?????
(D) 31205 __ Germany had used a special oval plate for visitors’ vehicles since 1907 and ran it through to 1950, when the new ‘Z-plates’ (Zoll=Customs) replaced them. They were mostly used by visitors from the USA, because the US government had not participated in the international agreement on trans-border traffic which allowed entry without carnet and plate-change. This meant that when a US citizen wished to ship his car to Europe for work or leisure, he must obtain some local plates to entitle him to circulate in Europe. Each European country had a system by which a temporary importation could be plated. The serial numbers of these German oval timp plates were batch-identified to the city of issue; here, 31 coded Hamburg, the great port.
(RI) – B.7178 K CC — Indonesia continued the plate system introduced by the Dutch during their tenure of the archipelago.
Consular Corps personnel used normal plates (B=Batavia=Jakarta, in this case) with an added red on white CC following. This Beetle is outside the Djakarta Hilton circa 1970 – before the current, (flimsy) pressed-alloy plates with slim lettering started in 1977.
PK 68, 140, 1184 & 1784 — Some Malayan states had their own early 2-letter codes between 1906 and 1948, when a unified system started, using single letter codes. Perak State was given ‘A‘ and all the previously ‘PK‘ -registered vehicles had to replaced their plates, even pictures of which are now very rare. However, in this shot, we see four of that long-lost Malay format.
At that time, Ipoh, the main town of Perak state, was the centre of the rubber and tin industries and boasted a higher population than the capital town, Kuala Lumpur (which means ‘muddy estuary’). Thus there were plenty of prosperous motorists and their car-clubs, as depicted here. (Douglas Fox archive)
(BUR) – RD 1802 — Burma’s independence from Britain in 1947 permitted foreign legations to open, mostly in Rangoon. Embassy staffers used normal plates (RA/RB/RC to RD) with Latin cyphers, supplemented by a CD oval which included the Burmese script for CD. This Packard Clipper is thought to be from 1948. DW corrects this to a 1951 model. In 1953 to 1958 the plates all changed to Burmese script only, the diplomats still mounting the separate CD oval.
(-) EG 75 — Eritrea Government plate captured on a c.1951 Ford Zephyr Six. Another Ultimate Rarity!
(AOF) – M 43 — The first and only known picture of an early French-era registration in modern Mauritania, when it was the colony of French Sudan in Afrique Occidentale Français and would have used the international oval AOF. (the oval never pictured – nor AEF!)
(F) CC IT 4 — This Volvo was photo’d in London in the 1960s and the owner, whom we interviewed, was a Dane living in Tahiti. It is not thought that French Polynesia had a consular series at that time, and recent visits have confirmed that there is still no such thing – but here is evidence that something did exist – perhaps an Honorary Consul…. Yet the plate itself is made up in exactly the correct form, as if it had been ordered from Paris!
(Ray KIng has a photo of IT 1459, identified as a Foreign Resident , maybe from the 1960s.) Ray King archive
(YU) — Thought to be from the little-seen 1956-61 Yugoslav diplomatic series, CD-70-20 was spotted in London circa 1962 on an MGA sports. Recalled as black on white, with red star before the embassy code 70. Are there any others pics of this period series? (VB archive)
(AOF) 42-1-CD — On a rare Austin A40 Sport, made for the US export market and based on the Austin A30 pan, with body by Jensen Motors, we finally devined that a confusing series of black-on-green CDs with a ‘1‘ anywhere within the plate, were from Senegal. Plates’ formats varied, sometimes using IT, sometimes CD (even one with neither, 29-1) , and with the ‘1‘ in any position along the plate, plus some serials with leading zeros. Eventually, our amalgamated collections’ dozen different pictures were recognised to be from the common source of Dakar, the diplomatic centre of French West Africa in the 1950s.
B 141 is said to be the original series for Bechuanaland – but the jury is still out. What is it? Picture taken in Botswana’s bundu recently. It’s a Dodge.
(ADN) PHS 26 — Pre-independence Aden used the code 1 preceding the registration, to indicate government/official vehicles But what is the meaning of the Land Rover’s second plate reading PHS 26?
(ME) ME-7689 — Spanish Morocco only stopped issuing its own plates in 1956, having begun in 1922. It had its own oval, (ME), but no picture exists of that oval. How many members are old enough to have seen these in circulation? These girls are proud of their 1951-DW Studebaker Commodore.
(PAN) ATE-01-69 — was an exciting find in 1958 London, though I had no idea it was Angolan until I obtained Keith Marvin’s seminal book a few years later. We have never been able to divine the ‘TE’ code and a web-search for settlements in that benighted country beginning with T or TE, gives no clues. The handsome wagon is a Borgward Isabella. Thank goodness for that early camera – and an unaccustomedly steady hand that day! I never saw another Angola (in Britain) again. Note London’s traffic in the 1950s.
L 567 — There are none of the old ‘L’ plates still in Labuan island, but fortunately the museum in Kota Kinabulu, ex-Jesselton, saved this 60’s Austin A40 Farina and gives us a glimpse of the Labuan plate format from 1905 to c1963. The very few cars which might have left the island in that 60-year period, would have carried changing international ovals as the status of the island changed: 1906-46=Straits Settlements (SS), 1946-59=North Borneo Colony, then N.B. State (CNB,SNB), then maybe a 60s period using (FM) & (PTM), then 1963-current, Malaysia(MAL).
The A40 Farina was manufactured between 1958 and 1967 – in AUS, MEX, ZA and NL as well as in England.
(IR) T 58 CD — The stuff of dreams! A 1940s picture of a (thought-to-be) 1939 Sunbeam-Talbot 3-litre 6-light Sports Saloon (also badged Hillman Hawk) working from the British embassy in Teheran. The left-mounted oval reads ‘Political Staff’, the Farsi way to convey ‘Corps Diplomatique’. The serials were probably not embassy-coded in those times.
But there were legation offices in other big centres and the rarest diplomatic shot which Mr. Stoel’s Iran album proffered, is this Standard Vanguard Phase 1, from the late ’40’s. TABRIZ 2 CD. What a find!!
The Consulate-General of Liberia in the Netherlands.
(NL 1928-51) HZ-76719 — Before Holland discontinued its 1906-51 plate series, and adopted their characteristic typestyle in the new 1951 LL-NN-NN series, this US-built Consular car (or Opel?) carried a home-made panel in place of a normal CC oval. Why on earth the benighted territory of Liberia warranted a presence in post-war Netherlands, I cannot conceive, but presumably some lucky chap enjoyed a two-year spell away from mosquitos, serpents, kidnap and road kill. After reaching H 99999 South Holland’s code area H had been extended in 1928 with a Z suffix, .
(Europlate Archive, former Stoel)
Pre-51 registration, post-51 style. The slim dies used in the making of this particular number-plate, and some others from around the switchover time, are those which characterised the forthcoming 1951 series, yet using the pre-1951 registration, HZ, of South Holland province. Both periods adhered to white on dark blue.
(GR) EA 205 — The Greece Police still use their own plates and we see from this 1944 photo that it started a long time ago. A high-spec Hillman Minx of the period.
EA is the abbreviation of Elliniki Astinomia = Greek Police.
Greece had some assistance from Britain in the 1940s and their vehicles were allocated a separate plate format, of which we only have this glimpse…….British Mission Any ideas?
(GR Query – V 5319 — And an unknown Greek type, which has a coloured ‘V’ painted over a GB-style pressed-alloy plate CN 5319. (The CN could have been from Kitts and Nevis, but is much too high a serial, or from Ceylon – but it was too early to have been part of the CE/CE/CY/CL/CN series there.)
That leaves 1932 Gateshead (GB), and it could be possible, as the car could well be of that vintage. Might the V be a tax-exempt Visitor sign, for what we now deem Foreign Resident?
Told you so. Several ‘enhancement’ made already – and only 16 hours had passed!
And more, with new pics – 17/04/2018 Further edited 27/4/18
All Europlate members can find the entire Archive to date, which is supplemented every day by extra pictures and by added or corrected details, at this* address, current 16th. Feb. 2018:
Many of the photos in Members’ albums were principally taken to record number-plates, but they also include background items of interest to other collectors, travellers and to old vehicle buffs, and a few such images follow in this chapter, which shows Wolseley cars around the world..
In a world now dominated by Japanese brands, it is interesting to look back on the earlier days of motoring, when British, American and European makers fulfilled the global demand for transport. Then, in later post-WW2 years, dozens of once-famous marques ceased production and the New Asia became the bulk motor-builders, leaving only a handful of famous makes in the fields of specialist and luxury vehicles manufacture to the ‘Old World’.
WOLSELEY was a high-quality British maker from the turn of the 20th century. The marque was used by senior administrators of Empire, as witness this picture below of a gold Wolseley 25hp Mk.3 ‘Silent Six’ convertible carrying Governor Lt.-Grn. Northcott on a tour of Sydney circa 1938.
and, above, on another occasion, showing the massive Lucas P100 headlights as fitted to many grand cars of the period. (Europlate archive)
Below, a saloon model of the 14/56 owned by 1935-41 C-in-C New Delhi, circa 1937, sporting a privileged number D 9. (Europlate archive)
(BI – 1900-1947)
Below: A 25hp Wolseley on Dealer* number-plates 131 Z in late 1930s British India. *Trade plates are thought to have been red on white. (Europlate archive)
(IND – 1947-68)
Above – Morris Motors amalgamated with Wolseley in the 1930s and that union spawned the mighty Morris 25-6, which a casual observer would surely take for a Wolseley 25. This 1930s chauffeur-driven Morris example MDN 66 was photographed in the Nilgiris tea-country at Ootacamund, Madras State, in 1968, as the mem-sahib went about her shopping. The c.1936-ish car has been re-registered in to the c.1947-68 series. (MDN = Madras State, Nilgiris region.) (Brumby archive)
(NZ) L 10459 — Unusually, this Morris 25 above, in New Zealand, was bodied as a van. Registered (L) as a Light commercial, the 1956-61 plate series was white on mid-brown, L 10459. (Courtesy Helen MacFarlane)
Above: The 1938-41 and 1945-48 Wolseley 18/85 model found an export market in Uruguay, where Montevideo-registered 48-701 in white-on-black was seen alongside a Riley RMA 1.5 litre saloon 54-886. (Photo c.1949, via Karel Stoel-Europlate archive)
Above – Another Wolseley 18/85 in South America is this Argentine example, registered in 1951 Neuquen state, Lajas City. The car would have probably have been from the 1945-48 post-war batch. Plate 14 51 750. (Europlate archive)
Above — Carrying no plates, but the British Crown, this 1957 shot depicts the Wolseley 6/90 of the long-serving Governor of New South Wales. Northcott served in that capacity from 1946 to 1957, being the first Australian to hold the post. (Europlate archive)
(AUS SA 1930-66) — Another Aussie plate above, and with a privileged, low number SA 357, given to the Governor of South Australia, Sir Willoughby Norrie, for his Wolseley Six-Ninety. This S/A series duration was 1930-66, this photo being circa 1957. (Europlate archive)
Above – Back in Britain, a new 6/90 Wolseley model meets its new owners, and is handed over by William Morris himself, by now a peer of the realm. Jan 1958 Hertfordshire (county-registered 4 CAR. (Europlate archive)
This Wolseley 4/44 captured in a shed in the Northern Territory of Australia in early 1966, has always been a poser, because the L-prefix was for Lorries, not cars! Any ideas? White on black L 3531. (Brumby archive)
Above – The James Hall Museum of Transport in Johannesburg Motor Museum http://www.jhmt.org.za/ is an unmissable visit when in that city.
One exhibit is a rather jaded Wolseley 4/44, NPS 4422, from (former) Natal-Port Shepstone, which keeps company with a Phase 2 Standard Vanguard, TJ 4390, from Transvaal-Johannesburg. The white on black plates are from the 1914-71 series, both issued in the early 1950s. (Brumby archive)
(NZ – 1963-86) DV 5573 is a Wolseley 6/99 in New Zealand c.2000. (Brumby archive)
Details now entered – 27/4/2018
General MacArthur car Sydney 1940s
(NZ – 1963-86) BS 6496 – Wolseley 6/99
(NZ – 1963-86) AL 276 — A Wolseley 15/68 serves in New Zealand (Brumby archive)
(ET – 1913 – c.56) C 940 — Cairo-registered Wolseley Hornet uses a cast-alloy plate, with the registration centre code C in red. Taken in the mid-1930s. (Brumby archive)
(CL – 1928-40) Z 84 — Another Wolseley-derived Morris 25? Note the Ceylon AA badge, now a rarity. Z 84 is thought to be preserved in Sri Lanka by an active motor club.
For a small island, Guernsey sports a good variety of licence-plates, though most are seldom seen, even to the visitor hunting for the oddities. Karel Stoel, Terry Gray and Ray King captured most of the following images, all pre-1970s.
The Lieutenant-Governor of this period (50s-60s) used an Austin Princess (Vanden Plas?) limousine for formal occasions and a Singer Gazelle drophead G 1 as his principal private car.
The Austin limo may have been designated an A 135 in the current catalogue. It used a lorry engine which powered their medium commercials. (See David Powell’s comments below).
G 1 — Lt-Governor again.
X 25 — The long-discontinued Guernsey Motorcycle Dealer with X prefix.
Not bad plates-variation for a tiny island, eh?@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
While you’re here – an unidentified old Russian
Sorry, Bloggers, but the digitisation of the images from the Stoel and other albums has kept me away from posting new stuff on our Blog, though there’s plenty of historical material to interest us therein. So – a start to the catchup…….
We start with an American Jeep photographed in Prague between 1945 and ’47, registered P-1323, which is painted on to the tailgate.
It also carries white-on-black plate AA 161, which is not presently identified, but the stencilled UNRRA below tells us that the Jeep belongs to the (first to set up) section of the all-new United Nations. UNRRA existed from 1945 to 1947 (see Wikipedia/United NationsRRA). That international body undertook Relief and Rehabilitation Administration, to help move-on or to repatriate the myriad Displaced Persons who found themselves marooned out-of-country at the end of WW2.
This Jeep team would have been working in the Czechoslovakian/Austrian zone. Note an apparent petrol shortage?
Bloggers may not know of this excellent-quality book published by Czech enthusiasts Zeleny and Feuereisl which gives chapter and verse on the CS systems from 1919 to today and covered the former lands of Moravia, Bohemia, Silesia, Slovakia and Carpathian Ruthenia. The quantity and quality of photographs is marvellous, and the data of codes and dates is most professional. Good thing too – the history of plates there is a minefield!
The authors are friends of our own Czech Mate, Alexander Kavka, who may have copies for sale – that’s where I bought mine.
Another extraordinary labour of love is represented by this excellent-quality book on the plates of Latvia created by the people of the Automobile Museum of Riga. Again the quality of the photos is good – some very good – and though the data is much less detailed that in the Czech book, nothing important seems to have been left out. The period covered is from 1900 to the present day.
Member Rein Valdi brought this volume to the attention of the Blog for which, thank you, Rein. He stopped in London during December 2017 and we enjoyed a few pints whilst nattering about plates. As a fluent Russian (and perfect English) speaker, he specialises in the Soviet bloc.
Found among the French albums of the Stoel collection, among the red TT plate series used by foreigners in France from 1933-54, is this image of an Austin A40 Somerset from pre-independence Algeria, 32 TT ZZ. The only written reference to this series is in the all-encompassing French Club’s website, Francoplaque, and I don’t think any previous pictures have surfaced until now. The giveaway Algeria code is ‘ZZ‘ and in this case, the ‘3’ probably dates it as a 1953 issue. Temporary import no. 32!
It is all the stranger because it was never a common thing for the French motorist to buy a British car – nor really any make from outside France. Le Land-Rover was an exception, as there were no domestic manufacturers of such cross-country vehicles.
But because the TT series was also used to register used cars arriving from abroad for extended visits to France and her territories, we may perhaps guess that this Austin belonged to a Briton working in Algeria in some NGO or aid capacity, and who brought his own car with him.
This 1950s New Caledonia E 50 shot is of a new import to the French Pacific territory, carrying the trade plate of the importing dealer, who has just collected the Fiat Multipla from the vessel ‘Polynesie’. The NC dealer code ‘E‘ had not been previously known before this pictorial evidence! (Essai/Trial/Delivery/Dealer)
Seen awaiting the Corsica Ferry from Nice in the 1970s is a Morris 1100 (another British make with a French address!) in transit to the island zone B (Bastia). Its Corsica dealer plates show 104 W2B and represent the 1976-93 dealer layout.
France used the letter ‘W‘ for Dealer plates from the very beginning, probably because it is a letter which doesn’t actually exist in the French language/alphabet, except for use in imported words, such as ‘wagon’, ‘weekend’ and ‘sandwich’. All borrowed from perfidious Albion – which took its entire dictionary from The Rest Of The World – and probably 50% directly from French, and in turn, Latin……
Below: 20 W 2 represents the 1952-76 Corsica Dealer layout, in which 20 then coded the whole island. A new-looking Fiat 1100, circa 1957.
The last French oddity is this 1950s government Delivery/Provisional. Here ‘D‘ abbreviates ‘Domaine’ or government region.
This Peugeot 203, 5805 WWD is on delivery from the supplying dealer or government motor pool to the provincial operating office, where it will spend its working life, having been first permanently registered with a simple ‘D‘ suffix
Who should breeze in to London during November 2017, but James “McGuinnessy” Gordon, Honourable Member for Mount Tom Price? He had come by a rare Trieste motorcycle plate in Europe which he really wanted to show to someone, so I dashed up to the capital and the only place we could find to talk about it and xeno-autonumerology in general was a pub – so that just had to do!
Thanks for the visit, Jim!
=========Pretty Barmaid archive========
For no special reason, except that it is a little-seen San Marinese variant, here is (RSM) Dealer 195 on a Mini-Cooper a few years ago.
nb In 59 years of plate-spotting in GB, I have never seen ONE RSM vehicle !
The next-to-never-seen Uruguay international oval (U) in Holland in the 1960s. 7-47 on a VW Karmann-Ghia VW. The letters ‘CD’ and ‘CC’ were not shown on Uruguayan plates until the 60s or 70s. Simply ‘Montevideo’ either over or under the number, the second component of which was probably the embassy code, and the leading number, the serial. So, Mission 47, car 7.
(Now apparently using (ROU) – but we’re not likely to see that oval either!)
This Benz was snapped in southern France circa 1960, when the (U) dip. plate colours were light blue on white, as per the national flag.
========= (Brumby archive)==========
BELOW: 1955 saw a new ROU president taking a ride in his new company car, below. Probably in white on the light blue shades of the national flag.
(What is that car?)
19 Dec 2017 – A Dodge Custom Royal Lancer, advises member Rein.
=========== (Stoel archive)============
And who can offer an analysis of this unusual Uruguayan plate 4-03, seen in Europe, we can assume, from the architecture and the international ‘U’ sign, carried by a mid-1940s US Ford Sedan. Possibly blue on white.
========= (Stoel archive)==========
The RPW online-pictures site TEHA2 is full of these rare and unusual plate shots captured by the early collectors and photographers, and it is updated daily, as new material arises. It can be a useful aid to identifying your unrecognised plates.
The Blog pictures are mostly selections from that repository of about 30,000 images which covers every country from the start of motoring to the mid-seventies (save for continental USA and CDN, which would be a life’s work on their own).
All paid-up Europlate members should peruse TEHA2. In future, it will be contained within the passworded Europlate website, we earnestly hope, but for now, if you would like it sooner – just email me for the standalone link:
ps. No news yet on the Europlate website, which is suffering from a (nervous?) breakdown at the hosting outfit in the US. We understand that Mr, Trump is taking the matter up with them.
VB – Streatley, Dec 14 2017.
Is this one of the best postings for a diplomat? This Land Rover Discovery is seen outside the British High Commission in Nuku’alofa, which is a two storey(!) beach house right next door to the mini Royal Palace on peaceful Tongatapu island.
The principal assistant to the Tongan economy is generous New Zealand, whose High Commissioner uses the CD type NZ 1.
The Palace roof is of corrugated iron and the household operates a few vehicles with special-issue plates; here is a 1950s King plate (1) from Jim Gordons’s photo collection.
PM 16 — Parliament people carry privileged PM plates, more recently in white and yellow, front and back.
And also from the early times, G 271 illustrates the tractor issue, used during the 1960s-80s:
C 16 DKH — This pic has been sent in from Singapore recently – any ideas?
Alastair Caldwell shot these plates for tourist-sale on one of many stalls in Buenos Aires. The re-painting has created some variations on the original black-on-white format!
CHINESE MILITARY MISSION to BERLIN
Roy Klotz made this note below in Europlate some years ago and Ray King saved it in his scrapbook, which is now part of our RPWO on-line archive. What a rare find – the only plate of its type in the world.
Or was it?
KB 042 846 — The Stoel albums unveil another version of that Chinese mission, carried on a Mercedes 170(?) which also bears the 1947-48 Berlin plate type issued by the Allied administration of the city in the aftermath of the war – Kommandatura Berlin (Berlin Command).
(The subject of Chinese/Formosan/Taiwanese participation in the restoration of 1940s Germany must be worthy of some research…..)
BR 510-075 — This Mercedes’ plate ticks several boxes. It’s the Berlin 1948-56 series with BR meaning British Zone-North Rhein-Westfalia and the leading zero of the second number-set 075 shows that it is a dealer plate – as would the red-on-white colouring, if Mr. Stoel had had colour film. Then, to make the matter even more interesting, it seems to have been an embassy car! Diplomatic Dealer – quite unusual, we suggest….060117 – See Marcelo Taverna’s interesting observation on this curiosity in Comments below….
In the 1930s, King Edward the Eighth of Great Britain visited Vienna and was driven about in A 182 (CD) which was probably the GB embassy Rolls-Royce.
Diplomats used low Vienna serials.
‘A’ coded Vienna until 1947, when ‘W’ became the capital’s identifier (Wien).
Below: A page from the Stoel albums, prior to breaking-up in to individual images.
0291 P is thought to be an artist’s impression, not a Russian plate type. The vintage car stuck in the mud somewhere is sporting an Asian script and is quite unidentifiable so far.
The motorcycle combination registered ‘Zh‘ 12 11 is thought to be a 1931-34 *military issue in red on white. 30.09.2017 – We now learn from reader Rein that it is a black on white normal plate from the 1931-34 USSR series, though so far, which area (Zh) is not clear. *Rein adds that pre-WW2, Russian military vehicles were unregistered.
And finally 24 – a Russian query. Do we know of light-on-dark Russian plates in Tsarist 1915??
Right-hand-drive – and is it a FIAT?
The last plate “24” is pictured in May 1913, not 1915 as printed. The car is a Benz and it arrived to Moscow from Chisinau, Bessarabskaya guberniya (Moldova). The owner of the car was Mr Suruchan, winner of the 1913 Star Race, organized by Russian First Automobile Club. Competitors started from different cities to drive to Moscow. There were no general Russian plates at that time; every city and province had its own colours and designs. Colours were usually changed every year, to denote payment of annual vehicle tax.